12 posts / 0 new
Last post
KRP's picture
KRP

Kelly
View Royal
New Member - 2005 4Runner with RTT

Hello!

Just thought I'd say Hi to the group and quickly introduce myself. I've got a 2005 V8 4Runner with a Tepui RTT, OME/Bilstein lift, 285 Duratracs and a few other odds and ends done to it. The Girlfriend and I (and 2 dogs) don't necessarily go wheeling, but explore the island looking for out of the way places to camp that are off the grid, and away from people. My work is IT Security, and I find my sanity is maintained by staying away from technology on the weekends.

I'll probably be posting trying to find new camp spots closer to the Victoria/Port Renfrew area. We tend to bomb further up island (past Campbell River or Port Alberni) to more remote areas, and don't spend a lot of time close to Victoria. It's time to change that and explore this area more.

Looks like there is some great info on here. I'm also hoping to find a fabricator in Victoria, as I need some sliders made up, and would like to replace my rear bumper as it's taken a few tree hits and is currently loose. I also can't currently carry a 285 spare in the stock location, so I need a tire carrier on the back.

Cheers!

theshanergy's picture
Admin

Shane
Alberni Valley

Hey welcome to vioffroad! Nice looking truck you've got there. Definitely know the feeling of needing to unplug from technology and get out of service/wifi range - pretty much the reason this site was started in the first place :)

aaol1's picture

sam
Victoria

hey welcome to the site! IVE SEEN YOU haha! okay thats creepy, ive seen you one time I went for lunch with my cousin at 5th street, and you were parked right there haha. I gott say, I took a few looks at your rig ;) you have an EXPO sticker right? ( I do too)

yea so check your inbox for info from that fabricator , his name is brad!

love the RTT dude, def my end goal ( if anything) for my truck

KRP's picture
KRP

Kelly
View Royal

Hey Sam... I know the exact day you're talking about. I couldn't fit the truck into that back little parking lot made for hondas, so I parked on the street. We just finished buying bikes from Fort Street Cycle, so we were famished after 3 hours of fitting and test rides.

I am rocking an EXPO sticker on the back window.

aaol1's picture

sam
Victoria

Haha nice so we we're in there at the same time then :) my cousin was talking on our way in and out, and my eyes just kept drifting to your rtt and setup haha

KRP's picture
KRP

Kelly
View Royal

If you haven't had a chance to see an RTT in person, I'd be happy to show you any time. They are not a cheap investment, but we picked it up last March, and did 30 nights in it in 2015, and have had 4 nights so far this year. It was awesome in the snow, which was a far more enjoyable time than the winter rain we have previously camped in. For us, it really has been an awesome purchase, and we get a lot of use out of it. The only downside is that my truck sits just under 8ft tall, and is our only vehicle. With the tent on, I don't fit in our condo underground parking, and I'm limited to street parking downtown. However, that's a small con in the grand scheme of things, and I'm starting to look at off road trailer ideas to hold the tent, which would then eliminate that issue. If I had a Tacoma, I'd have a bed rack configured to keep it in line with the roof so that I could hopefully avoid some of those limitations.

jas's picture
jas

Jas
Shawnigan

Welcome to the forum.
Great truck.
I have seen you lots down town Vic. Always looked twice and admired the truck.

aaol1's picture

sam
Victoria

yea thats what im actually getting built right now, a tacoma bed rack that will accomodate a RTT flush with the cab heigh ( ish). I have seen the RTT's before, but thanks for the offer of showing it! yea they are awesome, so damn expensive though haha...it maybe wont even be for this year, we will see, but im def looking forward to getting one eventually!

jas's picture
jas

Jas
Shawnigan

Id love to get one too. I have a good rack that will support it too.
I think mine would got all fucked up and torn from the trails/places I go to. It would be getting cut up on the branches etc.

Jay's picture
Jay

Jay
Langford

same here, cant do the trails we run with a rack. one of our buddies has to take his off every time we go out.
but for the summer camping trips it would be worth it. I have a tent trailer that i am going to sell and go with a RTT i think.

KRP's picture
KRP

Kelly
View Royal

Yeah... my 4Runner is very tall, and we're not necessarily crawling some crazy trails, but we spend our trips exploring the FSR and camping at lakes and rivers. I have abused the cover pretty good, and it hasn't started leaking yet, so they are definitely pretty durable.

Jay's picture
Jay

Jay
Langford

thats one of the problems with one on my jeep. Its tall too. with 5.5" lift and 37" tires.
im also looking at building a small off-road trailer as another option