Stock (2012 I think) Nissan frontier and stock 99 tj Lookin for beginner trails

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Shaftoe's picture

Paul
Nanaimo
Stock (2012 I think) Nissan frontier and stock 99 tj Lookin for beginner trails

Hey guys. Lookin for something a bit tame. Something that won't destroy the "new" trucks paint and body. We are pretty new at this so nothing to extreme. Any suggestions? Were in nanaimo but can travel a little ways out of town if need be. We need some spots to get ourselves some more experience. Weve been to a spot off timberlands rd. once but didnt go very deep in. We're hoping to go out tomorrow.

Lancer101's picture

Lance
Ladysmith

I'd say hill 60,my provost or mt sicker, just be smart what trails ya take...or take someone with you who knows the trails.

Out4aRip's picture

Rob
Victoria

If you go up to Mt Prevost/Sicker be careful for surprise ice patches on the roads.
A couple of people have gotten nasty surprises up there in the last few days and ended up ditched due to ice.

If you goo up Mt Sicker Road there is a Jeep trail at N48°52'43.9" W123°47'07.6". Don't take the flat trail on the right, take the ugly one that looks washed out, it will take you to the are area just west of the mines and just north of the clay pit. You will have to drop down the shelf in my profile photo at the end of the trail to get on to the mine side, it looks scarier than it is, just take as straight a line as you can go slow, good luck getting back up it.. or you can just drive in to or out of that side from the Chemainus River Park Road off Hillcrest, the gate is usually open in the day. Oh, BTW, DO NOT go in the mud pit you pass on the way, no matter how tempting it looks. You WILL get stuck, if you're lucky, or completely buried if you're not.

If you try to go in from Mt Prevost Road, you can usually drive right up to the Tyee tailings pile (N48°51'56.5" W123°47'10.7") if you split off right on to Plantation and follow it all the way WNW. It's an easy drop-in off the road to get in and out and the "easy" way down is on the right once you're on it. There are lot's of trails and obstacles in the area to help you feel out the rig there, just watch out for ice patches. It's always good form and practice to go with at least one other rig though in case someone gets stuck or broke down but on any given day off there are usually at least half a dozen other people on the mountain from 11am to 3pm and the top and east sides of the mountain have cell service so there's a better than average chance of getting help if you do get in to some kind of jam, just don't go unprepared.

Shaftoe's picture

Paul
Nanaimo

hey thats some good info, just the kinda thing i was lookin for. THANKS lol

Beer-n-Meat's picture

Beer-n-Meat
Nanaimo

I'm in Nanaimo, I'm out most Sundays.

Let me know if you would like to go out, I could take you into extension. There's some decent exploring to do in that area and could also take you up towards Barsby Lake.

I've already got plans for next Sunday that requires lockers/winch and the possibility of body damage so I'm going to assume you don't want to join in.

Just send me a PM if you want a tour.

Shaftoe's picture

Paul
Nanaimo

right on! ill keep you in mind for sure. ive been to barsby lake with a buddy from work and had a blast. my profile pic is on the rock at the lake where the burnt out ranger is. the way he took me im not sure the nissan could do as its a 4door and pretty long. ive only had this jeep like a month and im loving it! i cant wait to get out again!

Lauchlin's picture

Brent
Duncan bc

{extension. There's some decent exploring to do in that area}

That Would be something i would like to see like to find old mines be in Extension but no idea were to begin to look

Beer-n-Meat's picture

Beer-n-Meat
Nanaimo

Brent, you're welcome to come to Nanaimo anytime, like I said...Sundays are my "Dirt Church" days.

There are 7-8 mines in the area, most have been filled and you cannot get into them but still a neat place to do some exploring and I'd be happy to show you around.